Wednesday, December 7, 2011

With determined singularity, I seek open doors.

The last few minutes were kind of interesting. For me at least.

My host mom had a new bed frame made and it was delivered today to my porch because my porch is bigger. The day passes, I'm blogging and getting worked up over things that I should really let go, attn: the previous blog post (''Never attribute to malice that which can be attributed to ignorance'' - Dad). I eat dinner around 10pm and after saying goodnight I meander back to my house and realize the bed frame is still on my porch. So I pulled it into the house and went over to tell my host mom not to freak when she sees it's not there in the morning.

I didn't understand at first why no one was noticing my knock on the door, my ''ULPEEEEE!'' and my eye where the keyhole used to be. I went around to the back door and knocked and the door opened. The bathroom is right there and the first thing I see when I walk in is my youngest host sister banging on the doorknob with her fist...twisting, pounding and muttering. She turned to me and said, ''Se le trancó a la Amarilis.'' Which means the door knob is stuck and my older, pregnant host sister is locked inside the baño.

Never fear! This is why God invented the multi-tool! Erm...yeah. I run over to my house to get my multi-tool, delighted to be able to offer some sort of assistance and prove that I'm prepared to live in rural Costa Rica (I've heard that in rural Honduras people walk in and out of bathrooms all the time...scoff). I run back over to the house, I even have my mini maglite and oh man...we just start figuring things out.

But pretty soon, the maglite stops working - dangit! I knew those batteries weren't fresh!  Also, I realize that the holes I was seeing in the knob are not fit for a philips-head or a flathead scredriver. That, combined with the realization that I don't want to risk hurting the knife part of my favorite Christmas present ever meant that the multi-tool was now decommissioned. I got permission to try and bang down the door after Amarilis had positioned herself as far away from the door as possible. I'm no Schwarzenegger, but I'm the biggest lady in this house for sure. But alas, to no avail.  All that body building for nothing.

At this point I thought it was appropriate to say, ''Maybe we just pass her a pillow and call it a night?'' They're very nice people, so they laughed.

So then we get a hammer and the name of the game is to beat the living daylights out of the door knob, trying to make it fall off the door. Somewhere in here I ask, ''What about the hinges on the other side? If I passed you my multi-tool, could you take the screws out?''  

''Ay, Lily...no.''

What other tools do we have in the kitchen to accomplish this task? Shirley, my younger host sister, decided to break out the butcher's knife. So now she's hacking away at the door frame near the bolt, trying to make a hole for the...tah dah! Screwdrivers that we found! My host mom hands me a screwdriver and so I shoved it in the hole and started to work it up and down (oh snap!  Anyone?!  Anyone?!) for a good five minutes. I'm seeing more and more daylight and feeling worse and worse for the damage that has been wreaked on my host mom's house this evening. But finally...click...I push the door open inwards and there's my very pregnant sister chilling out. I told her I wasn't serious about the pillow thing and then started to go back to my house.

Smacked my forehead, turned around and told mamá about where her bed was. That was what I came to do, after all. Then said goodnight and walked to my house. But you know, my puppy is a tricky one. I didn't feed him until late tonight, I buffeted him a few times when he was chewing on my jeans today.  And he was just waiting for a little revenge, I suppose.

Doky closed the door behind me when I left with my multi-tool and flashlight. My keys were inside the house. So for the second time in an evening I thought, ''Hmmm...how can I break into here?'' And always desperate to prove that I can do something ''A lo tico'' or, ''In Costa Rican style'' I decided to use the broom on the porch to unlock my door from the window. Normally, I would have just taken out the glass panes and climbed in - but I do this a lot and my host mom always manages to put the panes back in before I remember to.  I really hate making extra work for her. So I tried the broom technique that my sister does.

There's a ton of broken glass on my front porch now. I used the same broom that broke it to sweep it into one pile that I'll deal with when there's sunlight. And everyone heard it crash. And my multi-tool can't do a damn thing to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment