Thursday, December 22, 2011

Oops...this is from Dec 17

Tonight I went to a posada, an series of events organized by the church for the kids in town to celebrate the advent season. This is the first one that I've been to, but not the first one our town has had. I was missing out, haha. I went over early to help out the mom who was hosting it and hung out with the other parents and kids as they arrived. I held a baby that I've been meaning to hold for awhile. That's a long story, but basically I think his mom doesn't like me too much - UNTIL! I hold her baby for twenty minutes and give her a break while she watches him smile at me like an itty bitty angel. Score.

There were other great things about the posada. Apart from candle lighting (and, um, some hair lighting...sheesh) and gazing upon the creche and the Christmas tree, all the little kids also wrote out on a paper star a wish for their families at Christmas. After hanging them, my host sister asked, ''So after all of these posadas, what do you think the meaning of Christmas is?'' And it was an adult who answered somewhere in the middle of all the answers that said, ''Giving to others who are less fortunate.''

Bam. I made my application to Peace Corps and came to Costa Rica on an invitation to serve in a community that is decidedly struggling with resources. My commitment to serve is fed by several streams of thought. The primary reason to serve is that I grew up not lacking anything and I think that now it's my duty to try and provide similar opportunities for people who do not have them. My cup overfloweth, so where can I direct the excess?

I don't think I have to say it, but I will - I was so profoundly touched by what this woman said that I have to tell other people about it now. This isn't some kid who was thoughtlessly repeating what s/he's heard on TV. It wasn't even a community member who has a lot to give compared to her neighbors. I think that's why it impacted me so much. Someone who has a reason to be jaded and feel like opportunity has passed her by instead feels grateful for what she has and further, wants to reach out to those with less. Combined with her demeanor and her actions, I know that this isn't some sudden only-because-it's-Christmas sentiment, too.

I dunno. You read about people like this, usually in a chain email or someone's blog or in a book of saints. It was impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment