Thursday, December 22, 2011

Get my nails did...

I love my salon. Peace Corps peeps, you may think I'm taking about the town hall. Nope, I'm talking about the hair and nail place in Santa Cruz. I stopped in there one day because it was so hot outside and I thought, ''Oh my. They probably have air conditioning, I'll just ask to sit down for a minute.'' I sat down and then was promptly asked, ''What are you here for?'' I looked down at my nails and since then, haven't looked back.

There's two sisters who do nails at this place. They're Colombian and, ergo, complete firecrackers. Zulma and Yamileth don't seem like they'd work well together because they are both such strong personalities. But they have a grand old time from what I've seen. If I say I'm in no rush, it can be three hours of chit chatting, yelling, eating and consulting with other customers before my nails are done and I love every minute of it. Yesterday, for example, I went in and asked for a manicure and a pedicure. Usually, Zulma does my nails while Yamileth works on my feet but yesterday it was all Zulma. She asked about how things were, if I'd seen the other volunteer that sometimes comes in. Another customer commented on my Spanish and so we started talking. Yamileth asked how my boyfriend was and I returned the inquiry. And on and on.

Apart from the social aspect that I enjoy, these ladies are pure artists. I asked for a ''tema navideƱa'' or a Christmas theme and I got it - I have super ornate poinsettias on my nails right now. I'll post a picture below and please remember to be culturally sensitive when if you choose to comment to me about them.

The only downside is that perhaps these nails are not meant for the countryside. My sister said last night during a Skype conversation about my nails, ''How do those fare when you're digging latrines?'' I said, ''If I find out that I have to dig a latrine tomorrow, I'll be pissed.'' Well, it wasn't latrine digging but I did volunteer to help my host mom shuck her corn crop that came in yesterday. Only enough to make about 50 tamales, but I was halfway through the first ear when I thought, ''This is my latrine.'' Luckily there was no harm done, but I'm also not about to volunteer to shuck any more corn before the Christmas parties die down. I always get mad props from the ladies in town when I show off these gems.

And if you're curious about how hardcore a Peace Corps volunteer with manicured nails can be, please refer to a previous blog from this month.

Blogger be weird and for the last week or so has not uploaded photos correctly.  Oops...I'll post them to my Facebook instead.

1 comment:

  1. Dental assistants are one of the health care professionals that have a wide range of daily assignments. http://techniciansalary.net/dental-assistant-salary-in-kansas/

    ReplyDelete