Thursday, September 29, 2011

A small revolution, except I have nothing to do with it.

I have internet access! I got a jump drive with a SIM card or whatever the hell the technology may be and now I'm connected, 24/7, to the whole world yet again.

Still debating if this is a good thing or not, but enjoying my restored daily doses of online comics.

Things here have calmed down. Doubts have cleared up. I'm still here, for the long haul, all two years of it. And it's time to get down to business.

This Friday my community diagnostic is due and I'm trying desperately to finish that on time. I probably won't, but it'll at least be about 90%, probably mostly lacking in the health and demographics sections. AKA, the sections that have required the most work. Erm, I have a ton of excuses. But my Dad has a particular saying about excuses that makes me not want to indulge. I bungled the deadline and now I'm going to have to hustle. Period.

Tomorrow I'll try for the third time to meet with my DINADECO local representative. My town has called for early elections to the development association which is my counterpart organization, and the local rep is going to come and monitor the selection process for the new members. It sucks because at a time when I should be hitting my stride and starting projects, all the people in town are waiting to see who's going to be on the new committee. If we'll even choose a new one or if the current one will make their case. Stuff as simple as asking to use the town hall for workshops (like, say, a project design and management workshop that I wanted to do next week) has been put on hold. It doesn't make sense to train a group of people who will be so pissed off at being deposed that they don't continue to attend. And it doesn't make sense that the new development association should get the second half of PDM.

And I'm really staking a lot on PDM. I want this to go smoothly, I want to do it to the same level of excellence and preparedness that Peace Corps administrative and training staff did it for us. So I'm holding out until the storm dies down. And then, time will be of the essence before the new association gets too far ahead of themselves.

But man, I talk a lot about work. What else is there...something not necessarily Peace Corps related...ohhh yeaahhhh...

I guess I should start making plans for what I want to do when I come home for Thanksgiving (all dependent on me finishing the diagnostic. Yup, I can lose vacation for failing to turn it in). So, I already have got NYC for a day on tap with my Dad. Also, potentially playing at Steel City on the 30th of November with Nervous Nikki and the Chill Pills. I'd like to go to Target. Take a nap in the middle of my living room floor, where the sun comes in through the window and makes the carpet really warm. Take a bath. Take a shower with hot water. Black Friday shopping. Skype the boyfriend a few times. Wear a sweater.

BUFFALO CHICKEN CHEESE STEAK. 'Nuff said.

It's kind of weird, I guess I thought originally that I wouldn't come home, that I'd be okay. It's not the first time, I thought kind of snobbily, that I've lived out of the country. Yeah, the counter argument though is that as of August, it's the longest time that I've been away from home without seeing my parents. And dammit, I really do like them despite everything (juuuust kidding Mom. I know you're the only one that reads my blog anyway). Also, at 9 months in Bolivia I was only two months away from coming home and seeing all the people that I'm so fond of.
Speaking of people that I'm fond of...everyone wants to know if I'm taking my significant other with me. When I say ''everyone'' I mostly mean all of the citizens in my town between the ages of 5 and 15. I try to explain to them about how complicated visa processes are, how expensive tickets can be, how right now is maybe not the right time. Blank stares.

''Well, he's too tall and just doesn't fit in my suitcase.'' Ohhhhhh, okay. We get it. And then I tell them to go to bed or I'll call the duendes (evil leprechauns). Kids'll believe anything except what's easiest to believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment