Monday, September 19, 2011

My grandmother and the Virgin Mary. This better be the truth.

I never really figured that charisma could be that dangerous of a quality in somebody.  Usually when I think of someone as charismatic, I'm grateful that they are only in my life through the television – some fringe politician that I can dismiss along with his loony, blind followers.  All of my jobs have been in sales or food service and both at the ground level, so I was never in a situation where charisma was being used as a tool in my professional environment.  Can't say I've met too many people who have won me over with their charisma, I guess is where this is going.  There's always something like education, wisdom, strength of character or just plain hierarchy that demands my respect.  I don't think I've ever liked anyone because they've spent their time persuading me that they were likeable.

Dangerous though, in the countryside of Costa Rica.  Before we go any further, I should say that I was not the victim of a duping.  Rather, I think I may have witnessed one.  Or can you be duped if it's for your own good?  Is that considered ''duped''?  Because then I might have been duped.  Also, why do we have such a silly sounding word in English?  Exploring the answers to these questions and more in the paragraphs to come.

Apparently, people in my community have been pretty upset with the local water committee.  They also believe that a guy from the regional water regulatory agency has been taking bribes from guy in town.  All hearsay, and if you heard it from someone in my town this same information would take a half hour in the telling.  But with the gossip you heard right here, you have an adequate understanding of why that same regional water guy came to the meeting in my town when we elected new people to be on our local water committee.  He didn't come just to oversee fair elections, in fact, I'd say that was only the secondary purpose.  First and foremost, he came to clear his name in front of all the people that had been talking about him.

And what a job he did!  Invoking God as his only witness and judge.  Claiming the provision of potable water for our town as his only humble intention.  Making half-humorous references about the little grandmothers in town (what the fuck?  Yeah, it confused me, too, when he brought them into it).  Stating again and again that he canceled the wardrobe that he had commissioned our water committee president to make for him to avoid a conflict of interests.  It was fiery, but maybe it was all just hot air?...That's what's so frustrating!  For all the times that I suppressed an exaggerated eye-roll, I was equally impressed that he could get up in front of a group of people who had reported him to his bosses and claim absolute innocence.  Which means he must not be guilty of accepting chorizo (bribes, literally ''sausage'') from our water committee prez.  The guy is obviously just trying to restore his good name to a bunch of backwards people from the country who don't know any better than to assume that people are always taking advantage of them because they're just so uneducated and paranoid.  Seriously though, he's just out for our town's best interest or he wouldn't be here now to supervise elections.

So...did you all catch that switch in there?  Right about halfway through the paragraph?  Yeah.  That's the scary charismatic part, when I started to believe that it would be impossible that a government official could be capable of accepting a bribe.

And ohhhhh my Goooooood but a Tico with an iota of power loves to talk.  Especially a Tico man.  Especially a bureaucrat Tico man whose honor has been impugned.  After awhile, part of the reason I started to believe him was because physically it was impossible not to cave in to his opinion of himself when I'm sitting for forty minutes on a small wooden stool in a town hall that's like a massive oven.  Rain on a tin roof sounds nice.  Heat on a tin roof will KILL YOU.  Or substantially weaken your sensibilities.  Yes, you're a good man.  Yes, you're trying to help us and yes we're grateful.  Yes, my grandmother would be ashamed if she knew I denounced a government emplo – holy mother of JESUS, where do they keep the WATER in this place?!?
Long story short – I know why charisma works now.  An audience with a flair for drama, a torture facility and a man who is probably a wolf in sheep's clothing.  But is he?  Is he really bad?  I'm not sure, I think he might be a good guy deep down.  Awfully defensive for no reason, but damn I mean...it's ballsy to mention the Virgin Mary if you're not telling the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment