Monday, September 19, 2011

buckle up, lots of new posts haha

Today was one of the high highs, I believe.  I woke up at 7 am and went to the school around 8 to plant some baby trees with the students.  They liked being outdoors and I only burdened them with the shortest discussion of why trees are important.  We took some nice pictures to send all over the place, including the Centro Agrícola de Nicoya to whom we will be writing a thank you note for the free black garden bags.  I went home, sat outside for an hour (there was a breeze which is rare and definitely should be taken advantage of), showered, planned my English lesson, ate lunch.  Then I kind of hit a low low in the afternoon.  No one from my development association showed up to do an activity for my diagnostic.  This was the rescheduled date because only two people came the first time.  But I thought that there was no way this was going to ruin my day.  I gave the English class and once I am done with the folk dance group tomorrow, Saturday, and finish typing up exams for the school's principal...I will mentally check out of my community and check into In-Service-Training.  Even though the physical check in isn't until Tuesday.

An interesting phenom that made today's blessed seemingly normal-ness all the more welcome.  About a week and a half ago I was informed of some chisme or gossip that's been going around town about me.  Someone told me that they were talking to people and apparently I a) like to stay inside my house and b) do not like to play with the children in my community.  The evidence is the following: In regards to the first charge, people notice that I am often in my house and I do not walk around town.  They can tell I do not like to play with the children because I am not ever out on the soccer field with them during the afternoon pick-up games.

What do I have to say in response?  A defense based on the weather, for surely it is hard to walk around town when it is always pouring in my afternoon free-time.  Should I mention that the days that I do take a stroll I hardly see anyone outside their own houses because it's just too damn hot?  Perhaps a scathing commentary about how if I wanted to play with children in foreign countries I would have applied to be an au pair?  Or remind my fellow townspeople that some people Just.  Hate.  Running.

I'm pretty sure I could royally screw up my work if I said any of that.  Please remember that not only is none of what I blog about the official position of the Peace Corps or the United States government, but also that my id never goes public.  So I think Nordstrom.  What did I always do at Nordstrom when the customer thought it was a great idea to root out or my perceived flaws, someone they'd known for less than ten minutes, and report them up to Customer Service?

I took it.  I remembered the commission that I was getting paid and that this customer was one among many others who had been most pleased with their purchase.

So, I take it.  I remember my oath, the gringo tax-payers and the good-hearted Ticos – the ones that don't care if I'm a carbon copy of the last Volunteer in my town (I really can't be too judgmental, either.  She was blonde, her name ended in a “-y” and she also smiled a lot.  We're goddam twins).  Everyone else in my town...I mean, I'm here for a reason, and it's not to be angry at anybody.  Cathartic sarcasm officially over.

The weird part is, I always thought gossip was supposed to be false.  But this chisme is unequivocally true.  Once I get over my low and mean, “Oh, you really want to talk about the person who came here to help you?!?” streak, I feel...kind of nothing.  They're absolutely right – I like spending time alone, I need it to stay sane and effective.  And I really do hate physical activity, so much the more in group settings with screaming children.  So what, I should keep being mad at people who have correctly judged me?  Nah.  I mean, I feel weird that in their estimation I am strange because of it.  But to actually stay mad or something...no way.

No comments:

Post a Comment