Friday, November 11, 2011

Ahhh...la playa and good company.

Well, I don't think it's any surprise that for the last two weeks my work load has been lighter.  It's been nice, although I'm still doing stuff here and there, not having English class or PDM has just been a huuuuuuge relief.  I feel like my vacation to the U.S. is going to be a bit whirlwind, and so it's nice to take a few days here to recuperate.  For instance, I read a whole book in like, two days.  Also, I blow-dried and straightened my hair and painted my nails.  I went to go see some friends at two seperate sites.  The overwhelming feeling that I have is profound gratitude to my subconscious for not making me feel stressed or guilty for being out of site.

I know it may sound silly, but for a few months every time that I wasn't doing something specifically Peace Corps related, every time that I wasn't out and about and being social, every time that I wasn't planning or preparing for something a few months down the line...I felt like a bum.  But the past two weeks have really shown me that it's okay.  I feel happier and more willing to do my job when I take some time out for me, too.  That's an easy conclusion to come to when you work regular hours, when you can leave an office or a workplace behind and sit on your couch and eat at your table.  But for the past 9 months I've been eating at table that was arranged for me by Peace Corps and sitting on a couch that belongs to a community member.  All that and more made me feel terribly guilty for relaxing at all.  But now I know better and I feel like I have a healthier approach to my work and, separately, my own private life.  Hopefully I can keep thinking of some part of my life as apart from my work.

So that's me, and thank you Steph for taking such a lovely photo.  Junquillal beach is not that great for swimminng (many people drown in the rip currents) but it's really great for this rock formation that we walked out on.  I was kind of anxious about the incoming tide, but all the little fish and shelled creatures were absolutely fascinating.  Loking at this photo I realize I should never take my eyes off the ocean when I'm in it, just like Dad says.

It was overcast yesterday, but I'm returning to my community a good deal more pink than I left it.  Classic - I never learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment