Sunday, October 23, 2011

Time to revise my friends on FB

This blog is going to sound...angsty. Probably. Erm, I just saw a Facebook post about someone picking out color swatches with ''the boy'' and then something about finishing up baking the pumpkin roll.

Fuck that shit.

Should I absolutely suspend my Facebook account if stuff like this makes me so upset? I think not, but it sure as hell is time to go through and delete a few people who are not really friends. It tends to be those fringe people who say stuff that really sets me off. I asked myself, ''Is is jealousy? Is it because my life is not like that and I want it to be?'' Definitely not. I don't have to be homeless and living off a government allowance for the rest of my life to be happy. In fact, to me that would be the opposite of happy after I have finished my volunteer service. But the domestic married baking crap that a certain population of friends on Facebook seem to cherish...yo, it is time to dump them. If for no other reason than that it is annoying as hell to try and be advancing the idea that women can be single and independent and strong in Costa Rica only to read these posts and feel inferior somehow at the hands of my own home culture.

Are you going to tell me that it's that woman's right to freely and independently decide that she wants to be married, that she delights in the ability to make a home for herself and her future husband? That tranquility and time and money to make pumpkin rolls is actually an indicator of her success in demonstrating her own particular strengths? You could say that. But I'd probably respond by finding a pumpkin roll and then smashing it in your face. Illogical, I know.

I'm being super harsh. If it were only one post in my news feed, it'd be one thing. But it's indicative of a lot of the ladies from Messiah College, both graduated and currently studying. Get married. Find a job. Live happy (at least never admit that you're not happy). Have a baby. Raise them to be good Christians and do it all over again.

Am I taking Facebook way too seriously as an indicator of how people really feel? Yeah. So fuck that shit, too. Maybe I should suspend my account.

2 comments:

  1. I completely feel this post. I left and things were good. My friends were fun, they liked to go out. Now they are all married. They do things with their husbands or fiancees. No time for single activities. Lame. Women are lame. All my friends are men. That's a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina, I'm your friend and I'm a lady. This does not make me your lady friend, but I think you know what I'm saying. Your friendships with women are still strong, if only conducted through the webular unit.
    Stay strong - don't get married to any of your guy friends just yet. I couldn't handle it if someone I know from Peace Corps gets married in the next two years lol.

    ReplyDelete