Monday, March 21, 2011

Weather. And more insects.

It's really windy outside. If I shut my eyes, it makes me feel like I'm back at home and the wind is whipping the snow in icy circles around my house. Except! I can also hear bugs hitting the light bulb suspended from the ceiling in my room, and that's definitely not a sound from winters in Pennsylvania.

It was "cold" today, a concept I was ready to accept when I was standing at the bus stop, but upon further reflection might also reveal the extent to which I've been able to integrate in the past three weeks. I could see my breath this morning – it was a surprise to me that it could get that cold in a tropical Central American country. Survivorman would slap me across the face if he read that. "Hypothermia can occur anywhere!" I'm paraphrasing, I think, but that definitely sounds like him. When we left classes later in the afternoon the temperature was probably floating somewhere around the mid 60s F (if it was even that low) and we were standing there – a big, shivering group of gringos that couldn't stop saying, "¡Qué frío!" I have to say, I was prepared for occasional cooler weather when I left the U.S. But in Pennsylvania in mid-February, the idea that one has of what "cool" means in Costa Rica might be a smidge off. I would have been quite comfortable today if I had the scarves and jackets that I chose not to pack because I thought my definition of "chilly" was not all that dynamic. There are posts in Costa Rica that are colder than the communities we are in now, too, or so we've been told.

OH MY WORD. I just had to stop writing for a few minutes while I killed the biggest ant I've ever seen. It was just hanging out on my foot. I need to investigate the area it was probing lest there be some residual ant gross-ness. It took several attempts and a hefty Bible to kill. It is definitely time to get under the covers and go to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment